Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week2 Leadership Project


The action research I have completed isn’t really confined to social studies classrooms, but I do think it could offer social studies, particularly history, a new edge towards further student engagement. To that end I have selected two conferences to which I will submit my completed leadership project.
The International Society for the Social Studies is currently accepting submissions and I think that would be the perfect venue to encourage the use of online discussion forums to augment classroom studies. Having been to an associated conference in New York, I’m know that ISSS does welcome a handful of presentations on methodologies that support the advancement of the social studies.
The other conference for which I am considering submission is the FLIBS (Florida League of IB Schools) conference in December of 2012. FLIBS is a certified training agency by IBO that hosts a number of international conferences each year for educators involved in the International Baccaleaureate Organization. After having been to a FLIBS conference early this summer where they welcomed mini-presenters to enhance the otherwise heavily academic workshops. I think a short presentation to instructors about the benefits of incorporating online discussion forums could be impactful for many students.
Of course I initially considered the Hawaii International Conference on Education, but that decision was grounded in little other than its location. 

1 comment: