Friday, August 24, 2012

Week4 Reading


Reading
“Certain things in life are best done in person.”
I found chapter nine to be the most impactful. I think part of the reason I did was because of the quotation above and how it applies to my action research project. The project was to implement a blended learning model in an eleventh grade history class. I recall one of my doubting colleagues remarking, “Well Broz, if they[students] like it that much they don’t even have to come to class”.
Al had a good point. We implemented an entirely computer based credit recovery program for students who were unsuccessful during the day program and his conjecture was implying that I was making my classroom obsolete.
Of course I laughed and disagreed with him, saying “Then they [students] would miss all the antics!”
I really enjoyed my action research project and I think it had a great impact on student learning; however, nothing can replace the human element in education.

The other part of the reading I found particularly meaningful came from chapter eleven when the author discusses the idea of creating a framework for possibility. In particular on page 163, the author wrote about the practice of framing possibility. Number three in the list is to “Keep distinguishing what is ‘on the track’ and what is ‘off the track’ of your framework for possibility.” I think this holds particular weight for teachers and frankly for all professionals who continually reflect upon their practice. Because none of us are ever entirely perfect, being a reflective person is almost necessary. If we continually distinguish what is in the realm of possibility and then dismiss things that get us “off track”, our practices and personal relationship to our profession will inevitably improve. 

1 comment:

  1. Reflecting, re-assessing, replaying the last unit that we did was always part of my process in the classroom. There's always room for growth.

    ReplyDelete