Friday, August 24, 2012

Week4 Leadership Post


Leadership
Writing about leaders who I admire is sort of a challenging task for me. See I’m not a very good follower. I was the kid in class who had to do things differently. Who had to argue with the teacher’s and eventually professor’s opinion.  When I worked at the restaurant waiting tables, I used to create my own specials and tell my tables and eventually the kitchen. I thought they were better modifications of our menu anyway. When I worked for the airline I refused to say “Happy Holidays” to people. I said “Happy non-denominational winter holiday” simply to mock the fake well wish. I was good at being a stock broker as long as my clients listened to my suggestions. As a teacher I have numerous letters of insubordination from three different principals. I like to play devil’s advocate. I frequently think I’m right.
I asked my boy and he said “Pop, I think a good leader is one who is courageous and fights for those who can’t fight for themselves.” The boy is absolutely right. Of course there are many other personality traits that go into being a good leader, but he said courage because in his mind a leader is someone who advocates for what is right regardless of the consequences.
In my earlier days of being sort of a pain to my teachers, restaurant managers, airline supervisors I think I was simply posturing for my own ideas to be heard. I mean changing the restaurant menu is not exactly a grand cause to fight for. Nor is modifying a holiday salutation (but I’ll tell you – almost all the customers cracked up with the non-denominational holiday comment. I think I added a little humor to an ordinarily mundane salutation. But then again… I think I’m always right.) Actually, as I reflect on many of these situations in my past, I think I was battling for a different point of view, a laugh or a creative idea.  As I’ve gotten older and really don’t live for myself anymore, I’m glad to say that those insubordination letters came in defense of my students and their programs. I continue to advocate to my students and teachers. The last two principals I’ve had were good leaders – they listened and worked with us to make our school better. Where they lacked the courage to stand up for what was right, they knew there was someone waiting in the wings just itching to dance that line of insubordination again.
I think I’m getting closer to my boy’s idea of what a good leader is.

It’s impossible for me to select one individual to write about as a good leader. I firmly believe that all of us can be good leaders if we allow ourselves the courage to be one. Everyone is different and leadership styles are as unique and necessary to all professions as are the ones they lead. I’d add only one thing to the definition of “courage”. Conviction. Conviction and courage. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting point of view, that many of us might agree on but lack the ... guts to act on. The question then becomes, as we get older, is it enough to point out that this or that is broken and not present a solution? The self-made specials are a unique approach, that's both a pain in the ass and a solution all rolled up into one. I know my father had a hard time suffering bosses who didn't know their own job, and it was until my dad found an advocate who would work the ruffled feathers my dad created, that my dad found success. He found someone, like your last few principals, who could do the political thing while he just made the damn stuff work. Thanks for prompting these memories of one of my role models (sometimes a role model of what NOT to do). :-)

    ReplyDelete